10.03.2010

Weather Woes and Butterflies

Rain, again. We are beyond soggy at this point. The only thing that has saved us from total saturation is the very dry summer we have had. But seriously, I find nearly 19 inches of rain in one week to be a bit much... High water has caused the work swamp to be closed to the public and has forced me to cancel first my spider hike and now my butterfly hike. Bummer. To brighten my otherwise gray day, I have decided to post a few pictures I took yesterday when the sun was bright and the sky was seriously blue --

Pearl Crescent, Phyciodes tharos
"Ubiquitous" might be the term I would choose to describe this little butterfly. It was one of the first I learned to ID -- probably because every other butterfly I saw seemed to be a Pearl. They are generalists and quite successful at making a living, at least along the east coast. Got asters? Then you probably have Pearl Crescents -- unless you are way up there where my friend Maineiac lives. She's much more likely to have Northern Crescents.
 


Red-banded Hairstreak, Calycopis cecrops
Here's another butterfly that is easy to ID and likes to hang out in open areas and along edges. It is often associated with sumacs and wax myrtles among other plants, but the female tends to lay her eggs on "the underside of fallen hostplant leaves" according to Butterflies of the East Coast by Cech and Tudor. So, do the larvae eat detritus on the ground or do they make their way to a living hostplant? Apparently it depends on exactly where the eggs were laid.
 


Monarch, Danaus plexippus
This is one just about everyone knows. It has been the topic of many a research project ever since it was discovered that Monarchs migrate. One just doesn't expect that from a butterfly ;)
 


Red-spotted Purple, Limenitis arthemis astyanax
I was amazed to see that this butterfly could still fly. It was so tattered and torn that it seemed like it should just fall out of the sky. But no, it got around pretty well. Inspiring.
 
Posted by Picasa

I'm off to check the rain gauge...

3 comments:

Ellen Rathbone said...

Nearly 19? Makes our nearly 5 seem like a drop in the bucket! Hope you dry out (a bit) soon.

swamp4me said...

Thanks, Ellen. The water is receding in most places. The canal that stands between me and my office is still running too high for us to operate our bridge though.

Gingerbread Cookie Recipes said...

This was lovely to reead