10.18.2005

Saprophytes on Parade

I had fully intended to add text to yesterday's pictures immediately after posting them, but I got sidetracked and this is the first chance I've had to get back to the computer.

Mr. Swamp and I own some property along a nearby creek. Unfortunately, the property is only accessible by water at the moment (wish us luck with the adjacent landowners!) and the water has to be high enough for us to get our canoe down the creek. The previous weekend's 7+ inch rainfall provided the water we needed so we loaded up the boat and headed to our real backyard. Mr. Swamp, who shall henceforth be known as Treebeard, was gracious enough to loan me the Olympus so I could take a few pictures. He is the sweetest thing :)

One = Pinesap, a.k.a False Beechdrops (Monotropa hypopithys) and is considered a saprophyte of pine or oak woods. If you look at the leaf litter around the plants you will notice beech leaves...go figure. [Indian Pipe looks somewhat similar to Pinesap and is easily mistaken for it]

Two = a gilled bracket fungus, not sure of the exact ID and Treebeard has absconded with the mushroom guide (don't worry, I will get it back!).

Three = one of the coral fungi, again not sure of the ID due to the sticky-fingered Treebeard!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

want me to build ya'll a house on the "waterfront", almost non-accessible poperty? Maybe i'll give you a Far Side-ish dicount

by the way... i saw your picture in the paper... nice hat :-P

swamp4me said...

Why yes, you may build us a house and don't dis the hat!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you've already looked into this, but in most states a piece of property cannot be sold unless there is a right-of-way easement in place for it. An overland right of way. Are you sure there wasn't one for your property?

SquirrleyMojo said...

Treebeard? Treebeard?
Too dignified and stuffy.

Why not Tom Bombadil?

Pushesrb said...

Hat? What hat? Paper? Which paper? I'm so out of the loop....

Btw swampy...the meeting wasn't a disaster, but it wasn't pretty either. I'll update you later.

Great pictures :)

Ontario Wanderer said...

I had a feeling that Indian Pipe wasn't quite right but did not have my book at hand and went with the flow. Now that I look at my book I see that Indian Pipe usually has one "flower" per stem while Pinesap has multiples. It's so easy to jump on a false ID at times.

Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

I'd like to see that hat.

When it rains for more than 5 minutes, you could nearly get a canoe going in my backyard. Such a small world we live in.

:)

Rurality said...

Wow, nice! I'm so jealous of the Pinesap. Great fungi too.

Crowe said...

Treebeard, lol lol lol! It's a fine name.