1.07.2006

Hidden Treasures



Most of the time, when I'm out and about, curiosity gets the best of me and I just have to see what is in or under things. The pieces of dead wood pictured above were in a seepage area, prime habitat for certain salamander species. When I took a look, I was not disappointed. Under the largest piece I found a two-lined salamander.


Two-lined salamander (Eurycea bislineata)

Of course, I put the log back the way I found it. Curious, yes; home-wrecker, no.

Other species of salamander encountered during my walk:
Red-backed salamander - Plethodon cinereus
Dusky salamander - Desmognathus auriculatus
Atlantic Coast Slimy salamander - Plethodon chlorobryonis

6 comments:

R.Powers said...

I love salamanders. We have tigers that spawn in our pond. My girls kept one, "Tigger", as a visiting pet for a year. When Tig's visit was over we let him go on a rainy night down near the pond.

Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

"No, I swear, that's how it happened. I was napping away and this lady came by and ripped the house right off the foundation! I froze until she put it back. I know she claims to have put it back the way she found it, but it's never been the same. So, my policy, does it cover this sort of thing? Can I get a new plasma TV? No, I uh, no I didn't have one before."

Randa said...

That was pretty funny, Mr. Bloggerific.

Salamanders are so very cool. We usually see Blue-Spotted Salamanders here (in Eastern Ontario).

SquirrleyMojo said...

Exactly the way you found it? Or do they smell/sense human touch?

I was always told not to mess with bird nests . . . same thing?

Reach the Beach said...

You have a fantastic site. Fun to read with great photography. Keep up the good work !!

swamp4me said...

FC, we're within the range of tigers, but I've never found one here. They probably occur in the 'sand banks" portion of our county though.

Mr. B, are you trying to send me on a guilt trip? ;)

Randa, I'll have to look up the blue-spotted salamander. We don't have them here and they sound very interesting.

SQ, I doubt the salamander is much bothered by my scent once I return the roof to its house. Also, the bit about birds rejecting their nests and or nestlings because of human handling is a myth. There is some question as to whether or not the majority of birds even use their senses of smell. Even with that being said, please know that I am not advocating the handling of birds' nests or nestlings, etc. :)

Hi Watermelon Man, thanks for the kind words.