2.18.2008

Vultures

 
Posted by Picasa


Black vulture takes off...

 
Posted by Picasa


Turkey vulture takes off...

Neither wanted to hang around while Treebeard and I poked around looking for whatever had attracted them. We saw about 30 vultures, a mix of both black and turkey, take up from some food source along the edge of an old beaver pond. We never could find what they were feasting upon. It was most likely a deer or perhaps a dog.

Many people don't care for vultures, but I like them. This time of year they are actually pretty...beginning to get all gussied up in their breeding finery.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Most people" are very narrow minded in this regard. I also like vultures and love watching them soar above the back yard.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I love them too! Though I've never seen a black vulture, I think TV's are really quite pretty.

roanokeis said...

My daughter just told me about Turkey Vultures that hung out in a tree near her backyard in KDH for a little while. About 10 to 15 of them. She said it brought neighbors out of their homes to see this. I have never seen one in person. Melody