5.25.2008

Around the House

No pictures this morning -- but I did want to give you an idea of what's active around the house this spring. We have several species of birds nesting in the yard: bluebirds, prothonotary warblers, chipping sparrows, cardinals, downy woodpeckers, blue-gray gnatcatchers, mourning doves, Carolina wrens, summer tanagers, blue grosbeaks, indigo buntings, brown thrashers, catbirds, and red-bellied woodpeckers. There are hummingbird nests nearby, I'm sure. In addition to the birds, we have quite a crop of cotton rats and cottontails this year. I also expect to see momma deer introducing her fawns to our platform bird feeder before too terribly long.

This will be our last spring in this house. We've been here 18 years. I imagine whoever moves in after we leave will "clean up" the "yard." What a shame.

2 comments:

Texas Travelers said...

It takes years to build up a bird and butterfly friendly back yard. I just hope when I pass on, the next tenants will be nature friendly caretakers.

I try to visit regularily,
but don't always leave comments.
Too many good blogs,
so little time.

Alaska Sunday is posted.
Come visit,
Troy and Martha

swamp4me said...

Troy and Martha,
It does take years and a certain amount of tolerance to build a beast friendly yard. From the eastern big-eared bat that roosts in one of the outbuildings to the black rat snake that lives in the fallen elm in the front yard, this property has provided a home to many over the years. Guess we will just have to be satisfied with that when we move on.

Your Alaska shots are terrific. I'll have to look at the rest of them when I get back to work -- only have dial-up here, I'm afraid.