3.23.2005

Out and About

Male green frog Posted by Hello


This green frog, Rana clamitans, lives in a pool in my backyard. He shares his pool with a couple of southern leopard frogs, Rana sphenocephala, and the occasional odd turtle. This is the first time I have seen him out and about this year. He's a bit larger than he appears in this photo - I wasn't able to get very close to him. Green frogs range in size from about 2 to 3.5 inches.

This frog is a male, as evidenced by his large tympanum or "ear," and his yellow throat. Male frogs in the genus Rana tend to have ears bigger than their eyes. The tympanum of the female is about the same size as the eye.

2 comments:

Happy and Blue 2 said...

I'm starting to really like frogs because of your pictures.

swamp4me said...

HB2 - That is such a nice thing to say. You just made my day. Thanks!