2.27.2005

Woody Woodpecker, Perhaps?

Pileated Power Posted by Hello


Pileated woodpeckers have been hard at work on this log. They chip away at deadwood in search of beetles, grubs, and carpenter ants. It is quite a sight to see them pounding away, flinging large pieces of wood to the side as they work. They are impressive birds, crow-sized with a crazy red crest.

Come March, they will be busy excavating a nesting cavity in either a dead or live tree. They tend to build from 10 to 75 feet above ground. Eggs will be laid in mid-April and hatch after incubating for about 18 days.

I tried to sneak up on a pair of pileateds one day last week. It was another of those cases of my photo subject cooperating -- up until the time I pressed the button. To make matters worse, I could swear they were laughing at me as they flew away...wuck-a-wuck-a-wuck-a

1 comment:

Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Awe! Baby toothpicks! They’re so cute. Coochy coo!