10.02.2008

Cool Morning Finds

It was downright cool outside first thing this morning. While poking about the yard we found a variety of critters tucked away, waiting for the sun to warm them up a bit. Never ceases to amaze me -- all the life around us and all we need to do is look.

Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa

Top to bottom: a nice fat marbled orb-weaver in her maple leaf hide-away, a sawfly larva slowly munching on a blackberry leaf, a green treefrog in a yellow bucket, and some sort of green caterpillar (cutworm, maybe?) working on a cocklebur.

5 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I like that spider, enlarged it's gorgeous. How can one critter have so many textures, colors and patterns?

Froggie looks like he's having a Zen moment.

Unknown said...

Florida's very own (actually Key West's), and late, Shel Silverstein alludes to just what your photos capture in the title of his seminal children's book of poems "Where the Sidewalk Ends":

Nature is all around us, even at the edge of the "sidewalk" ... or the back of one's back yard.

Really nice photos!

Dani said...

The spider is so neat. I have to get some books from the library and learn more about them.

R.Powers said...

I knew there'd have to be a tree frog.

swamp4me said...

lynne,
I love those spiders. There is another one with a super-textured abdomen - looks like a pine cone!
Froggy Zen, I like that.

bob,
Shel Silverstein is one of my favorites. Are you familiar with his poem about the overdue library book? That one always cracks me up.

dani,
Spiders are the coolest creatures - such diversity! Have fun at the library...

FC,
Yeah, you know I'm addicted. Wonder if there is a Frogs Anonymous out there somewhere?