7.23.2008

Denizens of the City

We spent last weekend at my sister-in-law's house. (She is mom to the infamous Ratdog.) SIL lives in the city of Charlotte in the piedmont section of the state. As cities go, Charlotte is a pretty one - at least in places :) It tends to be a city with lots of trees and many of those trees are oaks of various species. The picture below is a shot of the willow oak in SIL's front yard. Whenever we visit we always check out what's hanging out in or around the tree. This trip yielded various insects, a female hummingbird, the ever-present mockingbird, a robin, and oodles of squirrels.

Posted by Picasa


Here's a little evidence of the eastern gray squirrels that romp among the branches. Squirrel scat!

Posted by Picasa


By the way, the eastern gray squirrel is the state mammal of North Carolina. If you were a fourth grader here you'd be expected to know that.

4 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Hmmm... I think I should send all of my eastern gray squirrels to North Carolina!

swamp4me said...

lynne,
Don't you dare! We have a gracious plenty already ;) I would consider accepting one of those cute red squirrels, though. Got any of those?

Anonymous said...

That is too cute! Love the post!

swamp4me said...

Greetings, FTP, and welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed the post. From your profile I see that you enjoy nature, too. I'll be visiting your site from time to time to see what's stirring in Mississippi!