1.21.2009

Eggs

 
Posted by Picasa


This egg mass is on a dead tree along one of the trails in the work swamp. I happened upon it in December when I was out scouting in preparation for a hike I planned to lead. The total surface area of the mass is a tad larger than a dime. I'll keep my eye on it and perhaps we will be lucky enough to find out what type of bug will emerge when the weather warms.

Birds I noticed today, in no particular order:
tundra swan
northern pintail
mallard
wood duck
great blue heron
bald eagle
red-tailed hawk
red-shouldered hawk
American crow
grackle
red-winged black bird
starling
robin
northern cardinal
red-bellied woodpecker
white-throated sparrow
dark eyed junco
pileated woodpecker
eastern bluebird
blue jay
rufus-sided towhee
goldfinch
mockingbird
turkey vulture
black vulture
pigeon

2 comments:

Marvin said...

A good mystery. I hope they survive so we can know what critter laid them. The barb-like fringe around the top of each egg is interesting.

swamp4me said...

Marvin,
I hope they make it, too. One year I watched an egg mass all winter and was fortunate to find tiny little wheel bugs hatching out one fine spring morning.