8.17.2005

Stir Crazy

Too much paperwork and not enough outdoor work this week. It's been making me a little stir crazy so I took a fifteen minute break this afternoon and headed outside for a breath of air.


Before I got out the door, my co-worker glanced out the window to see a red-shouldered hawk (Buteo lineatus) munching on some tasty tid-bit. I grabbed the camera, fired up that optic zoom and snapped a picture through one very dirty window. The hawk was about 60 feet away -- I think I'm liking this optical zoom :-)

Oh, I know you wouldn't have been able to tell what it was if I hadn't told you, but I am still pleased with the clarity. Makes me think of wonderous possibilities!


Once outside, I happened upon this blue-tailed skink. It's either a five-lined skink or a southeastern five-lined skink...I'm inclined to think it's the southeastern (Eumeces inexpectus) because the head stripes and the middorsal stripe don't connect. Whichever it is, its tail will change color as it ages, losing that brilliant blue hue. There has been no shortage of skinks this year, they're everywhere.

This one was sunning about three feet away from the blue-tail.


It appears to be a female broadhead skink (Eumeces laticeps) and she seems to have had a hard life.


Nubbin...where's the tail?

Out by the gate, where a light burns each night, I found the remains of a bat's meal. There were numerous moth wings scattered around on the ground. This particular one appears to be from an Imperial Moth (Eacles imperialis).



Down near the pond I found a cluster of groundnut (Apios americana) in bloom. The root is edible, but I've never tried it.



As I was heading back in to tackle more paperwork, I noticed a female Great Blue Skimmer (Libellula vibrans).

Worn and tattered, but still active, she was patrolling along the edge of the pond. Somehow, I found that inspiring.

9 comments:

R.Powers said...

Hey, the new camera is doing great. Good crisp detail and the young skink is beautiful. Maybe nubbins tail went to a hawk like the one in your photograph.

Mr. Bloggerific Himself said...

Whoa, there is nearly a human skull shape between the top wings of the dragon fly and an alien one on the bottom row. Are you sure this wasn't sent from the Mother Ship?

(Yep, I'm enjoying the new camera. I'm going to pretend like it's the old one so I don't think about wanting a new one.)

swamp4me said...

Hehe, leave it to you Bloggy to see the secret, sinister signs :)
Beam me up!

FC, that could be what happened to Nubbins tail. As big as that skink is, her tail would have made a nice first course!

SquirrleyMojo said...

Excellent camera indeed--could not tell the pic was taken from a dirty window.

Also, your dragonfly metaphor was superb--can I have it? ;-)

Silver Zephyr said...

we have many a gecko running about our house and yard without tails care of the cats. they enjoy watching the still twitching tail. they are sick, indeed.

those pictures are so sharp! i need to get a better camera!

Ontario Wanderer said...

It was an impressive and productive 15 minute break. Please take more...breaks and photos!

Kentucky Brat said...

Oh I know I have swamp camera fever. I can feel it starting, that sick pit in my stomach, that will end with a fever so high I'm sure all common sence will just fly out the window. I'll not recover, pray for me.. light candles. Something, anything.. I need HELP!!

Swamp!! These are just beatuiful! Yes, you need more breaks.. we won't tell, promise!

swamp4me said...

KB, at least it's a fever that is easily treated -- just grab a camera and head to the nearest wetland! :)

Kentucky Brat said...

Swamp, I live in Northeast Florida. My yard has been a "wetland" in itself all this summer.

And I have been taking pictures... still feel really ill tho. I'm pretty sure a NEW camera would cure me. But Doc won't write me a script! He said insurance wouldn't cover it anyway. He told me to go get a job! Lots of help he is.